Thaxted Essex England UK Church Porch Aug 2020
Dedicated to St. John the Baptist, St. Mary & St. Laurence
The South Porch of Thaxted Church.
Text below © Thaxtyed Parrish Council
The building began in 1340, and its growth continued through our great building centuries till the Reformation, and the result is a proud example of English architecture. It was completed in 1510. Perfect balance is achieved with the aisles and transepts, chapels and the two porches, the King’s and the Duke’s, for Edward the Fourth gave the one with his arms on it (North porch), and Lionel, Duke of Clarence gave the other marked with his coronet (South porch), seen here.